Boots, board and futuristic space goggles


By Mike Machian

Maybe it was the U.S.’ performance in the Olympics, maybe it was the Mountain Dew commercial or maybe it was the video game. Whatever the cause, you are being tempted by skiing’s bad-ass little brother: snowboarding. It’s more exciting than skiing and less suicidal than the luge.

But you’re probably thinking, we live in Omaha, so how, where and why? How and why have the same answer: Mt. Crescent. The why is up to you.

Russ Lindeman, owner of Mt. Crescent, describes snowboarding as being “a little different way of playing in the snow than skiing.” Lindeman points out that the number of snowboarders visiting his establishment has been growing for several years and now constitutes almost 40 percent of Mt. Crescent’s business (skiing is the other 60 percent). This is probably why they recently converted their tubing area into a snowboard park. The new park is 900 feet long and 100 feet wide.

If you’re like me, the only winter sport you partake in is throwing snowballs at the neighbor kids. Lindeman warns that I and people like me should not expect to “look like world champs” on their first day on the slopes.

“It does take a tremendous amount of balance and agility,” he says.

Fortunately for us and the neighbor kids, Mt. Crescent offers lessons seven days a week. Lessons cost around $25 each and last about an hour. If you can convince enough of your friends to come along, there is a group discount.

It is a good idea to rent your equipment the first few times, lest your snowboard join your banjo and fondue machine in the attic. You can get the essentials (boots and board) for $21 all day. However, you are on your own for the cool hat and futuristic goggles.

The only thing more realistic than that snowboarding video game is reality itself. While Mt. Crescent is not quite Colorado, you’re not an Olympian. You have to start somewhere, so why not there?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here